This site has limited support for your browser. We recommend switching to Edge, Chrome, Safari, or Firefox.

Hello January One 2015

Hello January One 2015

So here we are the 1st of January 2015 & the beginning of my Plastic Free year! Happy New Year to you all!

I woke up this morning feeling excited but also a little nervous…could I do this…could I live plastic free? There are so many things I love that come in plastic…potato chips, crackers, cheese…all manner of carby delights! I decided the I needed to wash away any doubts with a dip in the ocean, the spark that started me on this journey, so I headed to the beach with a freshly made juice first thing to immerse myself in salt & start the year off in a nourishing way.
The water was lush, the perfect temperature & a high tide, the Basin being nice & full with the occasional wave, quelling my concerns.

With a salty start to the day I continued with my ritual to bring in the New Year & plan out what I wanted to achieve for the year ahead. I kept it simple with some yoga, mediation, goal writing & a look through my gratitude jar from 2014 – Now if you haven’t tried a gratitude jar its really worthwhile. Basically throughout the year you write notes to yourself about things you are grateful for. I also popped in treasures & notes written from friend’s….was wonderful to re-read them & connect with those moments again.

But I digress. After this lovely wee treat I continued on ridding my home of the last remnants of plastic to start nice & fresh. Now I have been working on this for the last 2 months, popping things in glass jars & starting to purchase things with out plastic. I saved it all to get a sense what I would use over a 2-month period to give myself a bit of a benchmark.

So to break it down as I had to stack some into piles this is what I had:

Un-recyclable Items – 89 Random bits, lids from glass bottles etc. 38 Food packages – plastic wrapping from bought items, cracker wrappers. 20 Sandwich zip lock bags.  40 Packages which contained dried food – who knows what sort of plastic this is! So thats 187 single items in total.



P1041964.1 (1).jpg


Recyclable items – 20 or only 9.66% from my 2 month haul might go on to have another life. The other 90.34% leaves my house to become landfill or worse, ends up in the ocean.


It surprised me how much I actually had…not the conscious consumer as I thought I was! The only consolation is that i will no longer be purchasing these items.

So after my cleanse was complete another swim was well in order which was followed by a well deserved stop (I think so anyways) at the ice-cream shop for a treat. Dolce caramel in a paper cup was my flavor of choice & seeing as they only had plastic spoons & I did not have my super cutlery set with me I whizzed home top gobble it down before it melted. I can only say it was good…real good…ill be back ice-cream store…spoon in tow.
So all in all a pretty happy good way to start my Plastic free year, still slightly anxious about things I might miss out on (probably things I could do with out in all honesty) but I have an unlikely ally that has joined me on my quest.
My fur baby Coco has pledged his support …today of all days…refusing to eat out of his well-worn plastic bowl & only off a glass dish. Connected little cookies that they are to the earth!



So here my journey will continue & I would love you to join me & Coco along the way for what I hope will be a life changing & expansive journey, making areal commitment to lessening the impact that I have on the earth & ocean & hopefully inspiring others to make conscious choices around plastic purchasing.

S xxx

← Older Post Newer Post →


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published